Kentucky girls are made of bourbon and ice.”
Yes, bourbon and blood run in equal parts through my veins, but lately I have felt the need to go beyond the “boozing broad” persona and redefine exactly what it means for me to be a Bourbonista.
Don’t get me wrong, I will still be imbibing on a regular basis, unless my liver demands otherwise, but from now on being a Bourbonista will be as much about exhibiting the spirit of that spirit as drinking copious amounts of it. In short, it’s as much about the attitude as the alcohol.
So, I’m stepping out the box I accidentally built around myself and offering you a bigger and better definition of the word. Here you go…
Like the distilled beverage for which she is named, a Bourbonista is:
- Strong, at least 80 proof.
- Southern, primarily from Kentucky.
- Versatile. Has recreational, practical, and medicinal uses.
- Intoxicating. Livens up any occasion.
- Layered, with sweet, spicy, earthy, smooth, refreshing, rich, and intense aspects.
- Resilient. Vibrations, movement, and pressure only serve to add depth and additional flavors, so Bourbonistas open themselves up to the universe, travel, and say yes to change and challenges.
- And perhaps most important, grows more complex, desired, and valuable with maturity.
A Bourbonista Unabridged can be both bohemian and balanced, fabulous and focused, and awesome and authentic.