After much internal debate and such about the VanZant Rant (which conveniently rhymes), and what was the appropriate action to take, I decided to use my own words as the weapon in my defense. And the Herald-Leader did in fact publish my response in a Letter to the Editor today. You can read it here, below:
This is in response to Molly VanZant’s, January 5, Letter to the Editor. Based on my humorous depiction of a self-tanning incident that first appeared in my Bourbonista Blog, Ms. VanZant declared I was “horrified that I became less white” and compared me to Strom Thurmond. She snatched phrases completely out of context to validate her vitriol. And, since she chose to not question the logic or validity of these statements, I will.
If I find those of “Latin and African background” inferior and have an anti-feminist, narrow-minded view of beauty then…
1) Why was I married to Juan Carlos Rodriguez, a man of Dominican descent, for over a decade?
2) Why have I been awarded two grants from the Kentucky Foundation for Women based on my work to break down beauty stereotypes and promote “Body Love” to females of all sizes, ages, and races?
3) Why, as editor of skirt! Magazine, did I profile 30+ amazing individuals who were of rich backgrounds other than Caucasian?
4) Why did I choose to buy and live in a home in North Downtown, one of the city’s most ethnically diverse neighborhoods?
5) And, finally, if I find darker skin less attractive, why in the hell was I self-tanning in the first place?
Think about it, Ms. VanZant. Actually, for a change, just think before you write. And now that this ugliness if finished, I can return my full focus to work that is empowering, encouraging, and especially, entertaining.
And just as I promised, I will now get back to finding the funny in life's little disasters and sharing the undiluted details of my many misadventures and warped world view.
Thank you all for all of your support throughout this little ordeal.
the bourbonistA, Promoting Debauchery and stamping out political-correctness one blog at a time.